Friday, July 30, 2010

Are You Sure You Want To Eat That?

I've learned that I have a little too much to say about fashion. And even though we're wrapping up my first ever themed-week of blogging--food--I wanted to get a little fashion fodder in.

Well, at least fashion-related fodder.

Since we are about as far away from Girl Scout cookie season--a season I look forward to very much--as you can get, I thought it would be the perfect time to share this "vintage" sugar cookie recipe, and to get into the bigger idea of "vintage" food.

And, I think we can all agree there is a difference between "old" food and "vintage" food, so I won't go there.

Anyway, I really enjoy learning about the foods eaten by people from a different time and even a different culture. I have this same fascination with vintage fashion; how people dressed for the time and place they were in was always so fitting and flattering. With food, every people has worked with the natural ingredients around them to develop culturally relevant (and very tasty) food. But, as the world marketplace has grown and food is flown around the world, plus the modern kitchen's capabilities (read: microwave), we've modified what we eat and when we eat it.

In a very similar way, we've grown out of "vintage" recipes (like ones requiring you to baste a roast for 6 hours) in favor of newer ones (or, ones that other people prepare for us that we reheat and consume.)

However, being that I can't easily let anything go (or is it that I want to eat everything in sight?), I want to give some classics a try. Much like my desire to revive classic drinks, certain recipes shouldn't be discounted just because that same "food" comes in a convenience form (read: wrapped in a plastic tray and heated on medium for 5-7 minutes.)

Going beyond cooking in one of these, I think reading something like Fashionable Foods (which looks fabulous) may better fit my desire to blend vintage fashion and food into my modern kitchen.

Do you have a recipe for some classic but gone-by-the-wayside dish that's worth the extra effort?

Oh, and how did you like the themed week? Was it as fun for you as it was for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment