Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Apple-ing Games to Life

At the beginning of the week, I didn't think that I'd discuss board games more than once. In fact, I didn't think I'd write about them at all.

But, it's only Wednesday, and here's time #2.*

Brother-in-law and girlfriend (a.k.a. Adam and Heather) came over for dinner yesterday. We decided after dinner to play Apples to Apples (which is never not fun). If you're not familiar with it, you can learn more here.

However, to those already versed in the rules, you know what I mean when I say it is not a strategy game; it is a game of knowing your neighbors.

While playing it with strangers or new friends can be fun all on its own (unless you are competitive, in which case it is frustrating), playing with people who you reportedly "know well" will either confirm you in that belief or make you question how the two of you got along in the first place.

It's really fun to learn little things about your family and friends in games like this. I, for example, learned a long time ago that Stephen will never select the card that is most accurate. He plays "Apples to Apples opposite," his own version of the game. With him, irony wins. He doesn't end up with good cards, but that's OK with him.

You learn who the sore winners are ("In your face!"), and the sore losers ("What?!? Not catnip/Gladiators/Al Sharpton?!?")

You also learn that you enjoy laughing at these reactions.

Hilarity in general.

But anyway, learning these little things about the people in your life is nice. I guess that sometimes we need stuff like board games to do that.

Do you have any experience with this game? Can you think of another "bonding" game? I'd love to hear about it!


*I should really stop trying to predict what I am going to write about. One of these days, I'll have to take you readers through my blog-posting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment