Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Post-Fest Preoccupation

I have figs on the brain.

Even though the Fig Fest was a couple weeks ago, figs are still fully in season (apparently until December, which was a huge shock to me). On our semi-regular trip to the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market over the weekend, we noticed that those aggies have supplied the general pop with tons of black mission figs waiting to be creatively consumed.

I am only too happy to oblige.

The first recipe that came to my mind was this Fig and Almond Tart featured on Giada at Home. Giada made this with Aunt Rafie, who is her carefree celebrity family member. Because she is awesome. I want to believe that this recipe is just as awesome, in a more delicious way.

At the Fig Fest, my sister's hands down favorite figgie food was a caramel-filled, chocolate covered salted fig, offered up by Trelio. It was very good, and I might be able to somewhat recreate the treat with these Fig and Ginger Truffles. Except for the caramel. Hmmm. Maybe an excuse to eat two desserts at once?

I shamelessly watched the latest season of the Next Food Network Star, and was quite proud of myself when I predicted on episode 3 that Aarti would take the cake. But, I had no idea that her Indian-inspired cuisine would have me wanting to try things like Earl Grey Kalfi Pops (a.k.a. Creamy Pistachio Pops) and Sloppy Bombay Joes. Her Huggy Buggy Bread Pudding (with figs and cashews--yum!) seems like the perfect thing for a winter weekend. Too bad I'm one of those people that doesn't care if it's 100 degrees out right now: comfort via food is always in season. Her recipe also comes with an original song offering substitution expletives.

Everything you could ever want in a cooking show.

Other recipes that have no story or emotional attachment (yet):
Montalcino Chicken with Figs and Buttered Gnocchi with Pancetta and Nutmeg

Fig and Walnut Biscotti

Prosciutto, Fig and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

Fig-Glazed Roast Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing

Ok, so what about you: do you have any fig recipes you can share?

No comments:

Post a Comment