Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Comes Love, Then Comes Paperwork

As I write this, I am looking at the last of the name change paperwork to do.

My passport is less than one year old, so I just need to send it in to...the passport people, and receive my new passport with my new married name. I've already done the paperwork for the Social Security Administration, the DMV, the bank, the insurance, the voting booth, and, most importantly, the magazine subscriptions. I've received my new version of all of these things.

New new new new new. There, I think I got it all out of my system.

This name change process has really felt just like that: a process. I'm somewhat surprised that no one in my life (or no one that I asked, at least) knew where to go first to get the name change process started, or who to call.

Also, none of the wedding professionals offered much help either. There are people banging down your door when you are planning a wedding. They want to be the ones who you pay for their flowers, their cake, or their laser hair removal (Yes. Two calls.)

But when the champagne has run out and all the guests have gone, they drop you and say something to the equivalent of, "Good luck with life. Call us if you need baby shower cake."

Thankfully, I did come across a resource that was some guidance at getting the name change stuff all figured out. And, as my friends have stated, they are very glad that I am going through this process first. I'm working out all the kinks for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment